Memphis Depay: 7 Things You Need to Know About United’s New Signing
1. Depay played at youth level for amateur side VW Moordrecht (2000-2003) and Sparta Rotterdam (2003-2006) before joining PSV, graduating to senior level in 2011. He scored 20 minutes into his debut for PSV, and 6 minutes into his first Eredivisie game.
2. His Ghanian father left his Dutch mother when he was four years old – he now chooses to go by his first name, Memphis, as he no longer wishes to be associated with his dad.
3. He has played for the Netherlands from under-15 level onwards, and earned his first senior cap in 2013, before Van Gaal brought him into the 2014 World Cup squad. He scored 2 goals and made 1 assist at the tournament.
4. He wears the number 7 shirt for PSV and Holland. Either Di Maria’s off or he’ll have to settle for another number at United.
5. He is represented by the Sports Entertainment Group, whose other clients include Robin Van Persie and Kevin Strootman.
6. He has played 28 and scored 21 in the Eredivisie this season – that’s 0.75 goals per game, or 114 minutes per goal. He has also provided 5 assists.
7. He has the words “dream chaser” tattooed on his chest. Welcome to the Theatre of Dreams, Memphis!