- Birmingham fans have been arrested the most since the 2014/2015 season- with 364 arrests
- Manchester United are in second place with 301 arrests
- Aston Villa are the third most unruly fans with 286 arrests
- Manchester City and West Ham make up the top 5 most unruly football fans in fourth and fifth place, respectively
- A total of 12,847 arrests have taken place across (England and Wales) clubs in the top 5 divisions
This morning, the home office released their latest ‘Football-related arrests and banning orders statistics’ for the 2022/2023 season.
In previous statistics for the 2021/22 season it was reported that 2,198 arrests took place at games in England and Wales, which was the most since the 2013-14 campaign. West Ham came top for the most fan arrests with 95.
This time round, it is West Ham who yet again have the unsavoury label against their name. With 89 arrests, the ‘Hammers’ topped the pile, with Manchester United in second place with 83 arrests. Leeds United are third with 69 arrests. A total of 2,037 arrests took place last season, slightly less than the previous campaign.
With all this considered, the research team at Gambling.com decided to dig deeper and work out the Most Unruly Football Fans (since 2014-15). They calculated arrests for every football club from England and Wales from the 2014-15 season through to the 2022/23 season, before producing a Top 10 table.
After the numbers were crunched, Championship team, Birmingham City, were found to have the ‘most unruly football fans’ with a whopping 364 arrests in total since the 2014/15 season.
Not far behind in second was Manchester United with 301 arrests while Birmingham City’s rivals, Aston Villa, were in third place with 286 arrests. Premier League title holders Manchester City (262) and the latest bad boys, West Ham United (254), came in fourth and fifth place respectively.